Saturday, September 21, 2013

Humility Revealed

Two weeks in China plus 6 weeks at home equals Adoption Leave over...sigh.  This 8th week of leave has been pretty good.  The beginning of the week started off a bit rough, but ended on a high note.  After being home 6 weeks Judah and Jake have finally started playing together in what seems like friendly play and not taking toys and whining about the other play (don't get me wrong, that still happens, but we are seeing more playful play out of the two).  The beginning of this week was very difficult for me as a momma.  Having a 4 almost 5 year old, a 3, and a 2 year old has its challenges to say the least, but after consulting with some mommy friends and lots of prayer we have all seemed to have survived until Friday.

Judah health update: We have been told that there are a spectrum of cases dealing with children born with an imperforated anus, but Judah is on the latter end of the spectrum (more complicated).  Seeing that he does not have a sacrum nor bladder control with blockage seems to have complicated his upcoming surgical procedures.  Fortunately, Children's Hospital here in Columbus has impressed us on a number of occasions and yesterday's conversation with Dr. Groner was no different.  Our surgeon went out of his way to contact his mentor and top surgeon in our country, Dr. Levitt in Cincinnati, to discuss Judah's case and ask for his help/advice.  Can I just say right now how impressive it is to experience this example of humility on this surgeon's behalf? Amazing! Jason wanted to ask Dr. Groner on the phone "If this was your child.." and he didn't have to!  We knew right away that this surgeon was treating our child with the best possible care.  Kudos!

Dr. Levitt believes that the "pull through" surgery should probably be performed first instead of the appendicectomy(?) and has been fully briefed on Judah's conditions.  Also because he is a licensed surgeon in Ohio the paperwork has already been put in the works for him to be present and assist with Judah's upcoming surgery.  During his surgery Dr. Alpert from urology will also have to be present in order to work on the bladder blockage that Judah is experiencing as well as fixing a testicle issue (tmi, I know).   Trying to arrange a time for surgery with 3 different surgeons has proven to be quite difficult, but it WILL happen and our Judah will be in the best care.  Of this I am certain.

As a mom I never dreamed I'd be involved in something as complicated as this.  When I was carrying our older 2 children I prayed and prayed for healthy, cute, fun kids, which the good Lord granted.  We prayed so hard for healthy children and then we voluntarily sign up for a child with physical ailments?! How does that make any sense? It doesn't.  Call us "crazy", or call us "called".  I know...it's both. I know that the Lord has his hand in all of this and I am continually amazed at how each day unfolds. I don't know why Jason and I were the ones the Lord chose to be Judah's parents, but I think as time goes by we will be blessed by this little one more and more and his life will be continue to be a testimony to all of us how faithful God is to each of us.  I know that He has a plan for my Judah and I now pray that I can live up to the momma that he deserves.  I hope he knows that I'm trying.  I love you, Judah.

No comments:

Post a Comment